FMX 2022 confirmed more speakers and announced additional programming and partners for the first hybrid edition of FMX – Film & Media Exchange, on-site in Stuttgart. The event is taking place on-site May 3-5, online May 6, and on-demand through May 31.
Yesterday and today – On site
Chris Corbould – special effects supervisor:
- A glimpse into Corbould’s Oscar-winning career as an SFX supervisor; he worked 15 James Bond moviesincluding no time to dieand Christopher Nolan Batman movies and meconception.
Simon Weisse – designer
- A dive into Weisse’s recent miniatures, models, and prop-making work, especially the intricate creations of buildings, vehicles, and landscapes on Wes Anderson’s films The French Dispatch, The Grand Budapest Hotel and isle of dogs.
ESOTERIC: Behind the scenes of the hit series (Netflix):
Philippe Llerena – Fortiche, technical director:
- Llerena will share her thoughts on making the popular series.
The Adventures of Paddington: Origins and Creation
Chris Drew – Blue Zoo
- The director of the Emmy-winning production and Annie will give a talk about the origins and creation of the series.
- Drew will also discuss how to keep a long-running show interesting for audiences as well as the team creating it.
Acting For Animators – On location in Stuttgart:
Ed Hooks – actor, author and actor trainer
- Hooks explains the connections between thought, emotion and physical action as well as the differences between ordinary reality and theatrical reality, scene structure, characterization, comedy versus drama, heroes and villains.
Concept Art (curated by Patrick Hanenberger – The Neuland)
Janice Chu (Bungie) – senior concept artist
The importance of graphic design:
- Chu will give a presentation covering everything from UI design to concept art and world creation, showcasing a cross section of his work. After a brief introduction to UI design in games, she’ll show how she’s taken her experience with UI and uses it in concept art and when creating her own worlds.
Dermot Power – concept artist
Concept Artist: Illustrator or Designer? :
- Power explores the role of a conceptual artist and shares behind the scenes of his own work on the fantastic beasts series and other projects, including an abandoned Tim Burton film.
Partners who have confirmed their on-site contributions to FMX 2022 include:
- Recruitment Hub: El Ranchito, Rodeo FX, Electric Theater Collective, Untold Studios, Rise FX, Realtime UK
- Marketplace: Golaem, Dosch Design, Ranch Computing, Botcha3D
- Workshops: vrbn solutions, SAE Institute (On site & Online)
- Continuations of the company: foundry
- School campus: NFTS National Film and Television School, ifs Internationale Filmschule Köln, University of Luxembourg Competence Center, Hochschule der Medien (HdM), University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, SAE Institute
Tickets are available here.
Source: FMX 2022
Debbie Diamond Sarto is associate editor at Animation World Network.