The Enforcement Directorate (ED) issued a new summons to Shiv Sena chief and Maharashtra Minister of Transport Anil Parab for questioning next week in the money laundering case filed against the former minister of State Anil Deshmukh and others, officials said on Saturday.
This is the second summons to Parab, 56, who also holds the parliamentary affairs portfolio in the government of Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) headed by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray.
The three-term party lawmaker in Maharashtra’s legislative council was first summoned by the agency to file on August 31, which he refused, citing official pledges and asked for more time.
Officials said the minister has now been invited by the ED to give evidence to the investigator in charge of the case at the agency’s office in south Mumbai on September 28.
They said Parab was to be questioned in the money laundering case under investigation against former Maharashtra Home Secretary Anil Deshmukh after certain “disclosures” were made by other defendants and by those involved in the case.
The summons concerns the criminal investigation carried out by the ED into the alleged racketeering of corruption and extortion of Rs 100 crore in the Maharashtra police establishment which led to Deshmukh’s resignation in April.
The ED case against Deshmukh, who was previously the Home Secretary in the MVA government, and others came after the CBI engaged him in the corruption case related to bribery allegations of at least Rs 100 crore made by former Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh.
Deshmukh, who had ignored emergency summons at least five times so far and took the agency to court, said Singh brought the allegations against him after being dismissed as police commissioner from Mumbai.
The ED can question Parab about statements he twice recorded from a jailed police officer and another accused in this case, Sachin Waze.
Suspended cop Waze, arrested by the NIA in a case where an explosives-laden SUV was recovered near the Mumbai home of Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani previously alleged in a letter he attempted to submit in court that in January 2021, Parab asked him to investigate an investigation against the “fraudulent” entrepreneurs listed in the civic body of Mumbai and to “collect” at least 2 crore rupees from around 50 of these entrepreneurs.
Parab then dismissed Waze’s claims and said he was ready to face any investigation into the allegations.