Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organization (INSO) is an international non-governmental organization that supports humanitarian workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, security data and maps, crisis management support, staff.
INSO provides daily support to over 1,000 NGOs operating in 14 of the world’s most dangerous countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands and headquartered in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO conducted scoping missions in Haiti after receiving requests from the NGO community. It was determined that a safety platform was necessary due to security and access constraints resulting from recurring cycles of natural disasters, political instability and violent crime. While Covid has delayed the start, we are now in the process of launching INSO Haiti.
Summary of work
The Country Director leads, manages and directs the implementation of the program. They have strong program and people management skills and are natural and confident communicators, consensus builders and networks. Successful candidates will combine keen intelligence and analytical skills with pragmatism, patience and a good sense of humor. They will enjoy the challenge of translating strategic concepts into achievable practices in challenging environments. Ideal candidates will come from an NGO/humanitarian background (senior executives and programs), be accomplished analysts and managers, and are not required to have a military/police background.
Program leadership and management
- Provide engaged and effective leadership across the program, ensuring that INSO Haiti functions well across all functions – program delivery, finance, operations, HR – and in compliance with INSO’s internal policies and protocols .
- Develop and execute annual program planning, aligning program development strategy with realistic future funding assumptions.
- Manage INSO Haiti donor relations and produce compelling high quality proposals and progress reports that highlight our impact.
- Manage program, finance and operations support team leaders online.
- Promote and exemplify a culture of openness and collaboration.
- Develop and maintain a nuanced personal understanding of the Haitian context and current security and humanitarian access challenges.
- Oversee the delivery of all INSO Haiti services, ensuring that program objectives are met, quality is maintained, and services remain relevant and responsive to the changing context and needs of NGO partners.
- Provide strategic analysis to senior humanitarian leaders, including through monthly director briefings, quarterly analytical reports and as needed on demand.
- Lead crisis management support to NGO partners during critical incidents.
The required kit:
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French.
- Previous experience as an NGO Country Director or Senior Program Manager, preferably in Haiti or the Latin America-Caribbean region.
- Strong understanding of the principles and practices of humanitarian action broadly defined
- Graduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years in conflict-affected contexts.
- Minimum 3 years in an NGO leadership position
- Proven analytical skills and experience in producing and publishing analytical products
- Experience managing grants, donor proposals and reporting.
- Excellent networking, diplomatic and representative communication skills.
- Recent experience in Haiti or in a similar context
- Previous INSO experience (as a team member, INSO National Advisory Board member, or beneficiary).
- Previous experience in setting up a country office
- Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role.
- Existing information networks and local contacts.
- Experience and interest in data management and analysis
Key personal skills:
- A people manager
- Calm in stressful situations
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
INSO Safeguard Policy
INSO is fully committed to the safe recruitment, screening and vetting of all potential new staff, directors and volunteers and we will ensure strict adherence to our Code of Conduct and Safeguard Policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms and conditions:
12 month renewable contract. Salary of €5,500 per month, 4 calendar days of annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with an R&R allowance of €1,250 per cycle, global medical coverage (outside USA), AD&D coverage.
How to register
Interested candidates are requested to:
- complete this short online questionnaire here = https://forms.office.com/r/4svTXiw13q
then send the documents below to email@example.com and refer to “CD Haiti” in the subject line of the email.
- a cover letter detailing how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation for applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages max).
- an up-to-date CV (5 pages max).
- a relevant and substantial writing example, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting skills (10 pages max).
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send additional information (degrees, other writing examples, etc.).